Canadian Forest Owners (CFO), based in Ottawa, Ontario, represents the unified voice of private forest owners nationwide who are committed to long-term sustainable forest management for a healthy climate and thriving communities. For more information, visit www.forestowners.ca
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for developing and implementing a strategy that promotes the economic and social interests of thousands of forest landowners across Canada. This can be either a half-time or full-time position supported by several consultants and foresters, as well as by grassroots / member-based organizations. Our current Managing Director is retiring and will remain on as needed to facilitate this transition.
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization.
- Manage media requests, be the primary spokesperson for the Association.
- With the Board of Directors, develop and implement an organizational annual strategic plan.
- Work with staff and Board to prepare a comprehensive annual budget, pay funds, administer funds in compliance with budget and provide timely financial reports, this includes corporate registry, by-laws, administration of the scholarship & bursary programs, lobby registry and insurance.
- Develop briefing materials on key issues and recommend and implement courses of actions.
- Lead monthly board meetings, developing the agenda, taking and reporting out minutes and ensuring follow up of actions.
- Oversee CFO’s AGM, including reporting, setting agenda, inviting guests.
- Lead member outreach including calls, meetings, communications, collection and management of dues.
- Represent CFO at conferences, round tables and stakeholder or government-led meetings.
- Ensure effective operation of CFO to meet member expectations.
- Develop strong positive and productive relations with federal government departments and key staff to ensure CFO’s voice is heard on policy and/or regulatory issues that may impact private managed forest landowners.
- Meet with elected officials on a regular basis to promote awareness and understanding of CFO’s members’ interests.
- Support the development of an annual communications strategy and ensure its effectiveness and delivery.
- Develop and maintain professional and productive relationships with other relevant industry organizations.
- Identify, evaluate, and mitigate risks to the organization.
- Preference given to registered professional foresters or biologists with 10+ years of experience in the forest sector.
- A strong understanding of the private managed forest sector in Canada, including relevant government policy.
- Ability to speak and write in both of Canada’s official languages is an asset.
- Excellent public speaking skills are required.
- Strong financial acumen and project management.
- Strategic ability to collaborate, network, negotiate and identify organizational opportunities.
- The position is currently located in Ottawa. Preference will be given to candidates in that region or within proximity (driving) to Ottawa.
- Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
- Closing date is Friday, December 8, 2023
Interested candidates should send cover letter with resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Selection Committee
Download job posting here: CFO Executive Director Job Description